Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mean to Serene

My son has crossed the 3.5 year old threshold.  For those of you with kids, you know what I mean.  Let me explain, it is a developmental phase where preschoolers test EVERYTHING.  They do not have the emotional and cognitive maturity to communicate what they need in a calm and rational way.  My preschooler, chooses to whine, yell, hit, and throw tantrums.  I have been at my wits end.  This seemingly happy,  easy child has turned into, for lack of a better word, a devil!
Yesterday, I asked his Montessori teacher if a behavior chart would work.  Coming from a public school, these worked for us, but I wasn't sure if it would work for my son.  Simon's teacher suggested something even better, A Calming Jar.  Simply fill a mason jar with water, food coloring, and glitter.  The theory is, when the child is frustrated, give them the jar.  Have them watch the glitter fall to the bottom.  The visual cue, will help the child calm down.
We just made our Calming Jar this morning, so I'm hoping (with all of my digits crossed) that this will work.

Has anyone made a Calming Jar?  What other calm discipline techniques have you tried?  Let me know!!!

1 comment:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...